Photo: San Dieguito Lagoon
Summer is officially here! While the long days are great, the accompanying heat doesn’t always lend itself to hiking enjoyment. Right now the forecast is calling for a warming trend through Tuesday, so if you’re headed outdoors plan for an early start (or a nice evening hike), and of course bring lots of water.
We just got back from a week of camping and hiking in eastern Sierra Nevada so were unable to make the public meeting related to the proposed rule to limit off-trail use in certain areas of California State Parks. But as we mentioned last week, it sounds like individual parks will have the ability to choose whether or not to implement the new rule, and in all likelihood nothing will change at Anza-Borrego. You can read more about the meeting over at Modern Hiker, the San Diego Reader, and the San Diego Union Tribune.
The Border Fire, which has scorched more than 7,600 acres around Potrero is 80 percent contained as of Sunday. A portion of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) remains closed.
The Carlsbad City Council has temporarily shelved plans to implement a trail on the southern shore of Agua Hedionda Lagoon, but will hopefully be revisiting the issue as part of the city’s Master Trail Plan they are currently working on.
Next Sunday head on over to Oakoasis Preserve for an Oakoasis Sunday Stroll. This is a nice and moderately challenging walking opportunity that the whole family can enjoy. Be prepared for a few hundred feet of elevation gain and loss on a dirt trail that is steep and slippery in some areas. Please dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes and bring water for this 3-mile loop that features fantastic overviews of San Vicente Reservoir. Visit the San Diego County Parks and Recreation Program Guide for more details.
Here are the latest outdoor and fitness deals from Amazon:
- Save Up To 25% On Osprey Backpacks
- 25% Off Select Kelty Items
- Esbit CS585HA 3-Piece Lightweight Camping Cook Set $17.09
- Save Up to 42% on Summer Camping Favorites from Coleman
- Save on Latitude -20 Degree Sleeping Bag – Regular and more
- Save on Slumberjack 2 Person Trail Tent and more
- Save up to 50% on Women’s Outdoor Clothing
- Save Up to 50% on Select Men’s Outdoor Clothing
- Paladineer 2L Taste-free Hydration Bladder Reservoir $25.99
- Save up to 50% on Select Columbia Styles
Have a good week!
Photo: Big Laguna/PCT Loop