Photo: View of Cuyamaca Peak from Garnet Peak
Well last week’s thunderstorms were a fun change of pace, but I for one would appreciate a break from the humidity.
Valley Center Happenings has a good reminder article on keeping your dog safe during the hot weather. Spoiler alert: DON’T take them hiking when its hot!
Some local residents are apparently discovering for the first time that tarantulas live in San Diego. NBC 7 has a story on some Scripps Ranch residents who have encountered the spider in their home. Experts say the past wet winter has increased the amount of spiders and other critters around, and more of them are making their way into people’s homes. Tarantulas are generally quite docile and rarely bite. Right now is tarantula mating season, and males are moving around looking for mates. If you’d like to encounter them in their natural habitat, we recommend an evening or night hike at Mission Trails or Iron Mountain.
Don’t forget this weekend (August 11th – 12th) will be the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower. Viewing will be diminished slightly due to a 3/4-full moon, but it should still be a worthwhile show. Check out this article from Space.com with more information and tips on where and when to see the best show.
On August 28, 2017, the price of the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass will increase from $10 to $80. Passes cover entrance and standard amenity (day-use) recreation fees and provide discounts on some expanded amenity recreation fees. The pass is available to US citizens or permanent residents age 62 and older, and is valid for your entire lifetime. So, if you’re eligible you should get one ASAP! Click here for a list of places you can buy a pass, but be aware some locations have sold out so you might want to call ahead of time. If you’re in the city, the entrance station at Cabrillo National Monument is the closest location.
Here’s the latest outdoor and fitness deals from Amazon:
- Get $20 off $100 or more on Klymit
- $10 off Under Armour Armourvent Mesh Boxerjock
- Stealth Cam G42 No-Glo Trail Game Camera $96.99
- MudGear Compression Running Socks $29.46
- 1000 Lumens Rechargeable Tactical Flashlight $29.99
- Save on TomTom Runner GPS Running Watch and more
- Save on Carhartt Wool Socks
- I Go 89 Piece First Aid Kit $10.19
- G4Free Camping Backpacking Pot Pan Set 4 Pieces $18.99 – $23.98
- Self Inflating Sleeping Pad with Pillow $27.99
- Picnic Blanket/Waterproof Pocket Blanket with Rain Poncho $13.84
- Self Inflating Camp Pillow $12.99
- TOMSHOO Water Filter Straw $17.99
- Adjustable Survival Bracelet $12.99
Have a good week!
Photo: Barnett Ranch