Welcome to April! This month we have National Park Week April 16 – 24 to look forward to. You can celebrate by visiting any National Park for free! Other noteworthy dates include John Muir’s birthday on April 21st, and Earth Day on April 22nd.
For all of you evening hikers, note that with the advent of spring, staging areas at the San Dieguito River Park are now open until 7:30 p.m.
There’s more good news in store for north county hikers. San Diego County has received a $200,000 state grant to purchase undeveloped land near Iron Mountain in Poway. This is part of a larger plan to connect trails at Iron Mountain, Mount Woodson, and Dos Picos County Park.
Next Saturday you can join the San Diego Natural History Museum Canyoneers at Rancho Jamul Ecological Preserve. This area is normally not open to the public, but the Canyoneers have special permission to hike this 5,600-acre California Fish and Wildlife ecological reserve. Here we’ll find sage scrub and riparian environments, and efforts to convert grasslands to native habitat. The ruins of an historic brick-making kiln will also be visited. Visit the Canyoneers web site for more information, or check out our Events Page for even more upcoming hikes and events.
Here’s the latest outdoor and fitness deals from Amazon:
- Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat Starting at $24.18
- Save up to 40% on Select Bikes, Racks, & Accessories from Allen Sports
- 45% off SoundAsleep Camping Series Air Mattress
- Etekcity 1500L Water Personal Filter Purifier
- Lightspeed Outdoors Mini Pop Up Beach Tent Sun Shade $39.99
- Recovery Compression Knee Sleeve with Infrared Fibers and Grip Dot top band $19.95
- Up to 70% Off Select Louis Garneau Snowshoes
- Up to 50% Off Select adidas Outdoor Clothing
- 30% Off Select Burton Clothing
Have a good week!